Saturday, January 24, 2009

19th Century Cooperage Project

Bit of a breakthrough on the issue of how-to cooper. Amongst other things I found this video which has answered some key questions for me:



This also helps me know what tools I need to make. I really need to get my forge going! Progress on the shave horse has been really slow. I brought up the remainder of the wood from which I will make the other pieces, but I just don't have the tools to be able to progress like I should.

My priorities are to finish the shave horse, and to get the forge going so I can make the things necessary for coopering. No doubt I'll have to buy tools in the process, but I'll do as much as I can without buying tools. I could really use a shop bandsaw or a large ripsaw to be able to turn my logs into planks.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I see that you found our Coopering Barrels video on YouTube. We offer that as a class here at Tillers International in Scotts, Michigan. We also offer two Coopering Tools classes, in which you learn how to make your own tools and complete a set to take home. The webpage for the class is: http://www.tillersinternational.org/woodworking/classes_455cooperingtools.html
    Thanks!
    Tillers International

    ReplyDelete