Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Shave Horse Project - Part 4

Next I cut what I call the "table"; the plank raised above the bench on which you put your work for clamping.

I needed hack another plank out with the chain saw. This time I took an idea I found on a web site somewhere and used a piece of wood as sort of a stencil guide. I nailed it onto the log and lashed it against our electric pole.

Using that plank as a guide I cut 2/3 of the way down, repositioned the tie-strap, and completed the cut.

I repeated the process on the other side. Other than hitting a NAIL that was in the board, the whole operation went smoothly. I've now planed it smooth on both sides. I'm working on getting the while board flat and even.

I'm getting closer to the stage where I can actually start assembly. I'm going to leave the legs till very last and actually use the shave horse to help me make them (using temporary legs).

I found a picture of the cooper shop at Ft. Vancouver. I really want to visit there now and check out the equipment. I also found a picture of come coopering equipment including a ramshackle shave horse in a Civil War book I have. Fun times.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

19th Century Cooperage Project

Bit of a breakthrough on the issue of how-to cooper. Amongst other things I found this video which has answered some key questions for me:

This also helps me know what tools I need to make. I really need to get my forge going! Progress on the shave horse has been really slow. I brought up the remainder of the wood from which I will make the other pieces, but I just don't have the tools to be able to progress like I should.

My priorities are to finish the shave horse, and to get the forge going so I can make the things necessary for coopering. No doubt I'll have to buy tools in the process, but I'll do as much as I can without buying tools. I could really use a shop bandsaw or a large ripsaw to be able to turn my logs into planks.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Shave Horse Project - Part 3

Well on my way through planing. I probably should have started with a chisel on the high spots, but my block plane in rather large, so I just took it head-on, and it worked. One side is almost completely smooth. It looks really sharp when it is planed perfectly smooth and straight.

Also, now testing the plank against the flatness of the table, it is very near straight. I might have a warp of 1/4". The only real issue is the variance from side to side. One side is at least 1/4" thicker than the other. Well, more planing for the thick side then. I've made about enough shavings to stuff a mattress.

Next I really need to cut out the other pieces with the chainsaw so I can start them drying.