Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Shave Horse Project - Part 4


Next I cut what I call the "table"; the plank raised above the bench on which you put your work for clamping.

I needed hack another plank out with the chain saw. This time I took an idea I found on a web site somewhere and used a piece of wood as sort of a stencil guide. I nailed it onto the log and lashed it against our electric pole.

Using that plank as a guide I cut 2/3 of the way down, repositioned the tie-strap, and completed the cut.

I repeated the process on the other side. Other than hitting a NAIL that was in the board, the whole operation went smoothly. I've now planed it smooth on both sides. I'm working on getting the while board flat and even.

I'm getting closer to the stage where I can actually start assembly. I'm going to leave the legs till very last and actually use the shave horse to help me make them (using temporary legs).

I found a picture of the cooper shop at Ft. Vancouver. I really want to visit there now and check out the equipment. I also found a picture of come coopering equipment including a ramshackle shave horse in a Civil War book I have. Fun times.

2 comments:

  1. Where's part 5? Don't leave me hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Gary! My attempts for the next parts didn't go so well, then I moved across the country. But I do hope to finish it by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete